Wednesday, June 2, 2010

June 1 - Acapulco

Last week was much busier than the first, naturally, having become more familiar with the office and the people I'm working with here. Most of my evenings were spent juggling my work back home with my new responsibilities here. However I definitely made time for fun on the weekend. Mid-week, it occurred to me that I couldn't come all the way to Mexico and not go to the beach! So Friday afternoon, 6 of us from the Mexico Google office packed our bags, rented a car, and headed 5 hours south to Acapulco!

We arrived late Friday night to the house we had rented, admittedly more glamorous in the pictures we had seen online. None-the-less is was perfect for our needs... 6 Googlers, 3 girls, 3 guys, 1 room and 1 bathroom! And... we had our own private infinity pool overlooking a beautiful rocky coast line - it was a breathtaking site!




Most of Saturday and Sunday were spent baking in the sunlight, when it popped its head out between clouds. And Saturday night we saw the town... Acapulco is a peculiar place. It has been a hot spot for tourists since the 1960s, and yet rarely updated since then. From the night fever music the serenaded us at dinner, to the extravagant chandeliers, infinity mirrors, and green vegas carpet at the discotheque, we felt like we were living in a never before seen episode of Miami Vice!

At some point over the course of the weekend, I unfortunately came in contact with an unfriendly bacterial infection (also known as "Moctezuma's Revenge" or "Turista") and therefore spent the last few days laying low and drinking lots of water. With antibiotic in hand, I am hopeful that things are looking up :) Only 10 days left... and so much exploring still to be done!

No comments:

Post a Comment