Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Buenos Aires Operation Recap

Dear friends, mentors, and other personal stakeholders:

As I reflect on the last 6 months I spent working on a startup effort for Google in Argentina, I wanted to take a moment to share an update with you on my progress, what I have learned, and the overall impact I am trying to make on behalf of Google across Latin America.

After a brief stint in Phoenix where I learned how Google’s ETO Combustion Program works to outsource AdWords sales, I moved down to Buenos Aires to start up a similar long tail acquisition operation supporting all of Spanish speaking Latin America. My first two months were focused on working with Google legal to help select and on board a vendor business partner. During this process, I learned first hand about international contract negotiations, specifically the importance of attention to detail & understanding cultural context in these conversations. By September 1, with signed contract in hand, I had recruited & hired our first class of sales reps who were ready to begin the intense 4-week AdWords training program.

Today, only 3 months into the operation, I have recruited and trained 2 classes of vendor FTEs, making up the 30 sales reps who drive SMB client acquisitions across 17 countries in Latin America. To date we have acquired 675 new Google AdWords customers (76% to target) which will contribute to nearly one million dollars in our annual revenue for Latin America for 2012. The ramp up was quick but the good news is we continue to see weekly growth and progress as we partner with our marketing counterparts to launch additional lead sourcing campaigns. As I set out with the goal of building a sustainable new business acquisition operation, I had no idea what I would have the chance to learn along the way (you can read more here).

I am still searching for the next challenging & exciting opportunity here at Google for 2012. However I am hopeful that there is a team with which I can share what I have learned in this fantastic experience and continue to impact our greater organization. Thanks to each of you who have invested in me over the past 4 years.

"What is the one sentence summary of how you change the world? Always work hard on something uncomfortably exciting!"
- Larry Page

No comments:

Post a Comment