Sunday, July 24, 2011

Bievenidos a Buenos Aires

It’s funny how things come full circle. I created this blog 2 ½ years ago during my first trip to Argentina. It was in April of 2009 that my love for Latin America reached a new height and I realized how deeply rooted my connection to and passion for the culture was. Ever since, I have been longing to reconnect. When I came across this opportunity last November, I knew it was something that could not be passed up. Rather it was the perfect opportunity for me to continue to pursue my Personal Legend*. So here I am. 26 years old and living out my life story in South America.

The transition to B.A. has been a fairly smooth one. Despite the flight delays from NY due to volcanic ash in Chile, I made it here via business class safe and sound. As far as work is concerned, things have been pretty slow as we are still waiting on the vendor to sign the contract so we can begin the operation.

My living situation is incredible. I secured a luxury apartment for 3 weeks in order to take some time to find a more permanent place. I am currently on the 36th floor of a brand new building in Puerto Madero, with a view of Uruguay off my balcony on a clear day. My commute to work is 5 minutes, which is incredibly convenient given the recent wintry weather.

Last weekend I had the opportunity to attend the Copa America quarterfinals and see Uruguay beat Brazil. For those of you who aren’t familiar, the Copa games are played every 4 years similar to the World Cup and are the next best thing for LatAm. Argentina was hosting the games this year. After Uruguay’s victory today in the finals, I feel as if my attendance last week had some bearing in their overall success on the games. Or perhaps it was the fact that I was on national television in Brazil during halftime last week when a crazy man began dancing around in the stands and the broadcasters captured it on camera, commenting on the confused look of the American girls on the front row.
Beyond that, I have begun exploring the city poco a poco, and liberally enjoying the fine wine and meat for which this country is so well known. The winter is fairly mind when it’s not raining and today was a beautiful day, 64 and sunny. I spent most of it reading and sketching in the park. One of my favorite things is the quality of the coffee. Beyond the flavor far exceeding anything Starbucks could offer, I have to admit I’m a bit of a sucker for the small cups and spoons. I don’t know who came up with the concept, but they are just adorable!

More updates to come as I get settled in my new place the first of August. Feel free to hit me up for a Skype date, Google+ hangout, or even a trip down to see the beautiful city of Buenos Aires. I will have plenty of room to host guests – just let me know!

*The Alchemist. Paulo Coelho. 1993.

No comments:

Post a Comment