Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A New Perspective

With 5 bags, 2 backpacks, and a carpet bagger’s purse Chris and I successfully made the move from Puerto Madero to my new home in Recoleta on his first day in the city. Settled comfortably on the 6th floor of a brand new building, we find ourselves in the equivalent of a fully furnished flat at Park Ave and 68th. With heated floors, towel racks, and bidets, we are not deprived any luxuries. The modest 2 bedroom and 2 ½ baths leaves lots of room for visitors (hint, hint ☺).

Since settling in almost 3 weeks ago, we have been able to enjoy many of the conveniences of the new spot, namely reading in nearby coffee shops, going for runs in the various neighborhood parks, and experimenting with new scrappy recipes in our beautiful Italian kitchen. Our weekends have been devoted to adventures throughout the city. Last weekend we had the treat of seeing an opera at the world renowned Teatro Colon, to sample a bit of the high life. Sunday was followed by a leisurely stroll through the San Telmo antique market where we got our fill of the local flavor.

Yesterday, to take advantage of the 3 day weekend, Chris and I decided to go on an adventure across the Rio de Plata to Uruguay. Though easier to imagine the quaint town coming alive in the summertime, Colonia, Uruguay was very charming and lively, noone deterred by the crisp 40 degree weather. Chris and I wandered through the cobblestone streets, exploring every nook and cranny, finally settling at a riverfront restaurant for lunch. Despite the subpar (and to be expected) service, food, and wine, our joy triumphed with excellent conversation and the sun beating on our faces.

On a slightly different, but equally as exciting note, work is finally picking up. After an 8th month pursuit of the vendor and 6 weeks since my arrival, our business partner signed the contract last Thursday and we are excited to begin the recruitment process for my project. Beyond exploring the city, I finally feel I have a bit of a purpose in being here.
The last month has been an indescribable adventure for Chris and I and I am thankful to have had the opportunity to share it with him. While his departure date is still up in the air, it has been a blessing to have such incredible company and companionship. A few key lessons so far include:
- Delegate, delegate, delegate! As an individual contributor historically, I have learned I cannot do it all myself. Therefore, the sooner I can identify and delegate to top talent, the better position I am in
- Its important tobe strong out of the gate. The momentum I set from the get go will affect our performace moving forward so its important to set a good tone.
- Most people learn as they go so I shouldnt be so hard on myself. Finding humility in the mistakes and moving forward through the learnings is key to success in this operation.





If you want to check out more photos, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment